Travel Information - To and From Canada

Effective 06/01/09 all US citizens must have a valid passport to re-enter the US.

A 2004 law is phasing in new rules for travel between Canada and the United States. Since January 2007 U.S. citizens traveling by air to and from Canada have needed a valid passport to enter or re-enter the United States. Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens aged 19 and older traveling into the U.S. from Canada by land or sea (including ferries) have had to present documents denoting citizenship and identity. This change primarily affects American and Canadian citizens who have previously been permitted entry into the U.S. by oral declaration alone, and marks the transition toward standard and consistent documents for all travelers entering the U.S.

Acceptable documentation includes a valid passport or government-issued photo identification such as a driver’s license and proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate. Children aged 18 and under need only to present a birth certificate. A list of acceptable documents is found at Travelers who do not present acceptable documents may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the port of entry attempt to verify identity and citizenship. Beginning in June 2009, all travelers, including U.S. citizens, will have to present a passport or other secure document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. from Canada.

Full disclosure information can also be found on the U.S. State Department website at

In addition to government travel rules, their is also provincial fishing rules for Ontario:

Licence TypeAvailable From2010 Fee for Non-Canadian Residents
Non-Canadian Resident Temporary Fishing Outdoors Card and Application only. Valid for three years. Annual licence tags must be purchased.1,800+ licence issuers (including ServiceOntario offices) throughout the province$9.00
Sport Fishing Licence Tag - valid for the calendar year1,800+ licence issuers throughout the province$68.00
Conservation Fishing Licence Tag - valid for the calendar year1,800+ licence issuers throughout the province$41.75
Eight-day Sport Fishing Licence*1,800+ licence issuers throughout the province$43.50
Eight-day Conservation Fishing Licence*1,800+ licence issuers throughout the province$25.25
One-Day Sport Fishing Licence (Great Lakes and connecting waters including Lake St. Clair, Rondeau Bay, St. Lawrence River and Lake St. Francis)Available from many charter boat operators, licence issuers and ServiceOntario offices along the Great Lakes and throughout Southern Ontario.$18.25
Non-Canadian Resident Angling Licence for a Member of an Organized CampServiceOntario offices$4.25/child
Lake St. Joseph tagsLake St. Joseph tourist operator from whom accommodation is obtainedNo charge

Contact Us

  • Jeanne MacLean
  • Make a Reservation
  • Winter Phone: (218) 386-1538
  • Summer Phone: (807) 224-3400
  • Email:
  • Mailing Address: Box T, Warroad, MN 56763
  • Lodge Location: Fletcher Lake, Kenora, Ontario, Canada
  • Contact Fletcher Lake Lodge